We will consider standalone excerpts from novels, memoirs, collections, and other books. This column is excellent for promotional purposes to coincide with a book’s release date, to drum up early exposure, or during the dates of a book blog tour. Excerpts are only considered for published books or books on preorder, and not from works-in-progress that have not yet found a publisher. No religion, Christian fiction, pure romance, hate speech of any kind, pro-gun propaganda, or erotica. Excerpts should be at least 500 words; if your work is poetry or flash, we will ask for more than one sample. Accompanying illustrations or images are permitted. If your excerpt requires a brief introduction, please include it at the beginning of your piece in the file; introductions should be no greater than 100 words. Please note that we receive more excerpts than we can publish, so we cannot and will not accept them all.
• 1 excerpt at a time, at least 500 words for prose, and at least 3 poems for shorter poetry, in a workable-text document. We utilize the Medium platform, and due to its limitations with formatting, we are not a good home for heavily-formatted pieces that are anything other than left-aligned (poets, take heed).
• Front book cover artwork, at least 500px.
• Link to preorder or purchase page, at the publisher’s site for the official book page (preferably not Amazon, &c., unless that’s all there is). Please note that we will only publish an excerpt if there is a book purchase or preorder link, so please wait to submit until there is a link to buy your book.
• Author headshot, at least 200px, preferably square.
• Author bio of 50 words max.
Unsolicited book excerpts are considered promotional, and we do not pay authors, publicists, publishers, or agents for them. We are happy to be a home for your promotional or book blog tour stops if you need a specific publication date, and since book excerpts do not take up paid online space, we are able to accommodate dates (provided that the piece is acceptable for us).
We welcome diverse and underrepresented voices and are an LGBTQUIA+ safe-space.