We’re seeking individual poems in any poetry format, including experimental, prose poems, and hybrid. We especially want to hear from marginalized and underrepresented authors, and we are an LGBTQUIA+ safe-space.
Winner of the Luminaire Poetry Award receives $100, our Luminaire Award digital medallion, a certificate, publication online at The Coil and in our triennial print anthology. All accepted pieces, semifinalists, and finalists receive publication on The Coil as well, among other prizes. See website for details.
Submissions open: November 1, 2023
Submissions close: February 28, 2024
Winner announced: April 2024
- This category is only for INDIVIDUAL standalone poems (not book-length manuscripts). Submissions can be any type of poetry, small groups of linked poems, experimental, prose poems, or hybrid. (Hybrid that most closely resembles fiction or prose should be submitted to the Luminaire Prose Award.)
- All genres, styles, and subjects considered. A soft upper limit of 5,000 words is suggested.
- Our journal is hosted on the Medium platform, which is not the best place for poetry that is anything other than left-aligned. We are not the best home for single poems with fancy layouts.
- You may submit up to 5 poems in a single document file.
- Submissions are read incognito. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME OR ANY IDENTIFYING MARKS INSIDE THE FILE, including headers, footers, cover pages, acknowledgments, and file names. If you do leave your identifying marks inside the file, the submission will be read as-is, but the reader may disqualify the submission if he knows you on any personal level.
- All work must be in English and must be the author’s own. Single work by multiple authors considered. We do not consider AI-generated works.
- If you need to adjust a submission, please use the Request to Edit option through Submittable. Please don’t request to edit for minor flaws, however—all accepted work will go through an editing process and will have the chance to be updated before publication, and your work will not be disqualified for a missing comma.
- All authors must be at least 18 to submit.
- Simultaneous submissions allowed. You do not have to withdraw a piece that is accepted elsewhere, as long as you still own the reprint rights after first publication.
- Previously published pieces are considered, as long as you still own the reprint rights. Don’t include acknowledgments in the file.
- ACP and The Coil staff may submit work for publication consideration, but they are ineligible to win prizes while on our staff (including volunteers).
- Submit via Submittable only. We do not accept email submissions.
- There is a $4.99 fee for each submission (up to 5 pieces in a submission). You may submit as many times as you’d like, but each submission must be made separately with a separate fee. The fee helps us with needed administration and journal production costs, but it’s not meant to be too inhibitive. If you are unable to pay, please email us for an alternative submission method.
- Each paid submission comes with a digital copy of our latest poetry anthology, Spectral Lines: Poems about Scientists ($9.99 value). There is an additional option to purchase the next triennial Luminaire Award print anthology (publishing in 2026) as an add-on for a discount ($4 off the final cover price, shipped free worldwide).
- It is highly recommended that you read our past Luminaire Poetry Award finalists and winners.
- We will send a response and notification of the winners to every submission by the end of April. Form response only, unless we are interested in publishing your work. We are regretfully unable to provide feedback.